Friday, February 22, 2008

Veal Saltimbocca

For Valentine's Day, I was on a mission.

Now, in principle, I'm not a huge Valentine's Day fan. I dislike the "give me diamonds or I'll think you don't love me" mentality that the jewelry stores go hog-wild with, and I don't think that how The Professor treats me for one 24 hour period is indicative of his feelings more than any other 24 hour period.

I'm also a hopeless romantic.

And lately, I've been over-scrutinizing every penny I spend on food.

So for Valentine's Day, I decided to make up for my recent "we will save money at all costs" mentality with a meal I know he loves. And that I've never attempted.

It's not perfect. I have a hard time with sauces, and this didn't come out perfectly. But I told him I would keep trying - only on special occassions - until I get it right. He agreed to keep eating the results.

And that, my friends, is romance.




Veal Saltimbocca

  • 5 pieces Veal Scallopini
  • 2 tsp rubbed sage
  • 3 oz Prosciutto
  • Italian flavored bread crumbs
  • 1 Tbsp oilive oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • fresh ground pepper


Lay the veal out on a flat service. Season lightly with freshly ground pepper, then rub a sprinkle of the (ahem) rubbed sage into the top of each piece. Lay a piece of Prosciutto over each piece of veal and fold in half. Secure with a toothpick or metal skewer. Lightly dredge veal in bread crumbs.

Heat about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet, and add veal to pan. Cook for about two minutes per side, and remove to a plate.

Honestly, I don't think these need a sauce. But the Professor does, so:

Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan, and scrape up any bits on the bottom. Add another quick dash of pepper and then pour in a half cup of dry white wine. Simmer until reduced and spoon over the veal.

I served this with some wilted spinach and some angel hair pasta tossed with butter and Parmesan. The Prosciutto and Parmesan combination made for a slightly salty explosion - but the garlic bread made that heavenly.

Notes:
I'm going to try a thicker cut of veal next time. The saltiness of the Prosciutto overwhelmed the delicacy of the veal a bit too much for me.

No comments: