Monday, February 18, 2008

Apple Cinnamon Cobbler-ish Dessert


A month or so ago, I had an IM conversation with The Best Friend:

TBF: Oh, I completely experimented with desert
Me: :)
TBF: I baked some apples
and mixed some of the cereal you gave me with blackberry yogurt and an egg
and put it on top and baked it some more
yummmmmy
Me: mmm
very good
TBF: yes, I had an inspirational moment
TBF: it was as if you had come in and taken over my body
me: lol
that would be frightening

As you can see, I am even wittier in person than I am around here.

A few weeks later, after many evenings of me yelling after her as she left to go home "Hey! I didn't get my apple dessert yet!", we finally remembered that she was supposed to teach me how to cook something. After opening and consulting with a bottle of red, we remembered what it was.

It was worth the wait.




Apple Cinnamon Cobbler-ish Dessert

Ingredients:

  • 3 fairly good sized apples (of whatever flavor/variety you prefer. I want to try it again with some really tart-y green-y ones)
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 oz yogurt*
  • 3 cups of cereal (any kind of flake and/or nut cereal will work, Think Nut N Honey, or Oat Clusters)
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon sugar
  • 6 Tbsp butter, divided

Preheat oven to 350F.
Lightly grease a 9x9 baking pan.

Peel and thinly slice apples. Arrange in the bottom pan.
Melt 3 Tbsp butter.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and yogurt. Whisk in melted butter. Add cereal and brown sugar, and stir to combine.

Spread over the apple mixture and sprinle with cinnamon sugar. Cut remaining 3 tbsp butter into pieces and sprinkle on top.

Bake for 35-40 minutes*, or until golden and bubbly.

*Notes:

We used vanilla yogurt at my house; as mentioned above, TBF used blackberry the first time. She's firmly on the side of using fruit-flavored yogurt. I adored the vanilla. Toss a coin.

The baking time is approximate, as we were too busy laughing and carrying on with our plans of world domination for me to remember to look at a clock.
We were both firmly on the side of "more topping less apple" here, but you could easily add a couple more apples to make it a more equal ratio. If you're into that kind of thing.

1 comment:

Erika W. said...

Wow! That looks really good today!

I tagged you this morning for a meme- you should drop in and check it out!