Monday, March 3, 2008

Asian Slaw

When last I left you, I was crowing over how easy it is to eliminate mayo from recipes and basically, over my genius in making that very easy dish. Well, the reason that had to be so simple is because I had to reserve time to cut the vegetables for the Asian Slaw that I had also agreed to bring to our little soiree at work.

I like cutting up vegetables, though. It gives me time to sing songs like “American Pie” all the way through without having to stop to read directions. Although I don’t usually stop singing, I just end up substituting recipe-words for the song-words.

I’m not just a cook. I’m also the floor show.

Asian Slaw
Veggies:
  • 1 ½ cups snow peas, julienned
  • 1 ½ cups carrot chips, julienned
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
Dressing:

  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1” piece of ginger, grated
  • ½ cup rice vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
Heat the sesame oil in a small sauce pan; add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 min. Add the rest of the dressing ingredients. Stir to combine. When the sugar is melted (takes about 2 seconds), remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Now is a perfect time to cut all those veggies up.

I did this in the recipe the night before our “rib-fest”, and then tossed the veggies with the dressing about 15 minutes before it was served.

No comments: