Saturday, December 1, 2007

Salvaging the Vegetables with Butter

I found some meat on sale at the grocery store on Thursday; London Broil, which I have never cooked in my life. But it was red meat - which I've been craving lately - and it was on sale! But London Broil isn't something I'm very familiar with.

Poking around the nets, I discovered that I'd have to cook it medium rare if I wanted to be able to cut it. Which is fine with me, but the sight of blood sends The Professor running for the nearest take-out Chinese place. But I decided I'd cook it medium rare, and if he didn't like it I'd just cook the hell out of it and make him pretend to enjoy the shoe leather.

Karma's a bitch.

I overcooked the whole darn thing. One minute it was smelling heavenly, nearing perfection...the next minute it was obvious that I'd be better off trying to turn it into some kind of jerkey. The Professor was pleased, though, because I wasn't trying to turn him into a "blood sucking vampire" by feeding him "raw meat".

But the vegetables!! Oh, those were good. Even though I got started on them a little late, they were so yummy that I'm already dreaming of cooking them again. I cooked them a bit in the skillet and then tucked them around the meat in the oven.
Healthy? No.
Cheap? Yes.
Eye-closingly butterry good? Absolutely.
2/3 is a majority, so I'll be doing these again. Soon. Very soon.



Buttery Veggies

  • 3 carrots, cut into bite size chunks
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite size chunks
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 heaping tsp dried savory (or thyme)

    Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet; add the carrots and saute on medium-high heat for about 5 or 6 minutes. Add the bell pepper, and continue cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes.

    In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients (and then add a quick twist of pepper, simply because you can never resist your pepper mill).

    Put the vegetables in a small oven-safe dish - something just big enough to hold the vegetables - and dollop the butter mixture all over them. Cook in the oven until the carrots are soft and they're all floating in more butter than your thighs want to think about - approximately 15-20 minutes.

No comments: