Thursday, November 22, 2007

Taco Seasoning: Work in Progress

I need suggestions!

I've been working on making my own taco seasoning. I know I have all the right spices in my cabinet. Getting them together in beautiful harmony...it's not as easy I would like. I'm coming around to the realization that everything which flows from my magical spoon isn't automatically perfect. Therapy will start soon.

And by the way, "I've been working on my own taco seasoning" means that I've made exactly two attempts that included actually paying attention to what I was doing.

So here is attempt #2. I thought it was pretty good, if a bit spicy. The Professor was....well, the word "appalled" comes to mind. But 1) he doesn't care for any kind of Tex-Mex food and 2) he doesn't like anything remotely spicy. So I don't think his opinions count here.

I made the switch from chili powder to chipotle chili powder (oh! How I love thee!) this time, and that change is going to stick around.

I used all of this on about 2 1/2 pounds of ground meat (or meat substitute for the Best Friend). I think I'll cut back the next time. Because really, you shouldn't have to funnel margaritas down your throat to put out the fire in your mouth.
Or should you?

Taco Seasoning

1 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp paprika
2 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp white pepper

Mix it all together in a bowl and sprinkle on the cooked beef in a skillet.
I dissolved about a tablespoon of cornstarch in a cup or so of water, and then added that to the skillet and cooked the whole thing for about 2 or 3 minutes. This didn't really work to get the "wet" consistency I was going for, so I'm going to work on that too.


Taco Night 2007:

No comments: