Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Guacamole!

It’s gotten VERY warm here lately. Last week we had one day that the high was only 32. Five days later, the high was 72. So you’ll understand my momentary madness when I had the overwhelming urge to make what is, to me, a very summery dip. Guacamole.

Guacamole is SOOO easy. Even if you just got some avocadoes and smashed the ever-loving heck out of them with a little lime juice, it would taste heavenly. Since I’m an overachiever, I added a few things. Since I’m a nincompoop, I forgot to take a picture. I actually looked at the empty bowl and said “Damn! I needed a picture of this!”

Now, I’m a little kinky when it comes to avocadoes. I like to hold back a little bit of the scooped out fun so that there’s some chunks in the mix. If you like it nice and smooth though, go ahead and throw it all in the food processor at the same time. It’ll still give you a momentary urge to turn your kitchen that awesome shade of light-green, 1970’s horrible interior decorating green that we all still have nightmares about. Or at least I do, and I wasn’t even born until 1977.

Guacamole

Ingredients:

  • 3 avocadoes, pulp removed from the rind
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds and white pitch removed
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • ½ tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp red pepper flakes
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • Juice from 1 lime
Procedure:

Saute jalapenos in olive oil until the skin is blackened. Put them in a food processor with 2 ½ of the avocadoes and the rest of the ingredients and pulse until mostly smooth. Roughly chop the remaining avocado and stir in. Serve with the chips of your choice. Or spoons. Really, it’s your choice.

Notes: a little fresh cilantro would make this a lot better. But because I’m forgetful, I forgot to buy any.
I really like this with some chopped roma tomatoes sprinkled on top. The reds and greens are both Christmasy and summery all at once – which makes it perfect for a week with crazy weather like this one.

3 comments:

SjElizabeth said...

I pick spoons. . .

Vicki said...

Guacamole love! To further accentuate the red & green theme, try adding a few pomegranate seeds. The colors, the texture contrasts, the flavor contrasts...yum!

Anonymous said...

You really have to make quacamole for me. No, really. Yes, really. Just plan on making it for six people.
Sounds yummy!